- The Venture in Highfield is now open following the refurbishment but is now part of the “Sizzling Pub Co” – no news on whether cask beer is still available.
- The Hare and Hounds in Billinge - cask beer is reported to be in good condition.
- The Nags Head in Ashton - cask ale is on sale at £1.50 a pint however the quality is reported to be inconsistent.
- The Robin Hood in Ashton – reported to be selling Greene King IPA but not sampled.
- The Balcarres Arms in Aspull has recently re-opened following a refurbishment.
- The Moorgate in Aspull has also re-opened and is selling 4 cask ales form the Marstons range
- The Crooke Hall Inn in Crooke Village is now under new management - Liane McPhelim who was formerly Customer Care/Sales and Brewery Tour Guide at Allgates Brewery.
- The Venture in Highfield is now selling up to 3 cask beers at any one time but note that the pub is closed for a refurb from 1st-15th November.
- The Hare and Hounds in Billinge, which re-opened recently, is now selling cask beer.
- The Nags Head in Ashton (formerly the Golden Lion) is again selling cask beer – Bombardier and Deuchars IPA at last visit.
- Fifteens of Ashton (formerly the Cross Keys) has up to 3 cask beers on at any time.
- The Stag in Orrell is reported to be serving real ale.
- The Park Hotel in Landgate (Bryn),is also reported to be serving real ale.
- Standish Golf Club is now open again, without the Moorhouses tie, and has been serving Prospect beers amongst others.
- The Orwell in Wigan is another venue at which real ale is anticipated "soon" - watch this space.
- Hartley’s Emporium in Standishgate, Wigan has finally re-opened following the major fire late last year and is selling cask beers from the Marston’s range.
MARCH / APRIL 2010
The Charles Dicken in Upper Dicconson Street is currently closed as is the nearby Market Tavern.
Hare & Hounds in Billinge and the Bird I’th Hand in Gathurst also appear to be closed.
On the positive side the Travellers Rest in Pemberton is due to open in about 5 weeks as a freehouse – not yet known if they will do cask beer.
Hartleys Emporium is due to re-open in 5 weeks – again we do not yet know if they will do cask beer.
JANUARY / FEBRUARY 2010
- The Gerrard Arms in Aspull is now owned by the former owner of Gallaghers in Little Scotland and is reported to be selling Black Sheep, Tetleys and Prospect beers.
- The Ben Jonson in Goose Green is rumoured to be having a conversion of the first floor to flats but keeping the pub on the ground floor.
- The Old Engine in Orrell is rumoured to have been bought by a building developer.
- The Stocks Tavern in Parbold is now under new management (Gareth) but still selling real ale.
- The Red Lion in Ladies Lane, Hindley is now being managed by John, who formerly managed the Stocks Tavern in Parbold
- The Bowling Green on Wigan Lane is selling 3 cask beers.
- The White Lion in Upholland has Thwaites Wainwrights available
- The Britannia in Upholland has real ale available
- The Fifteen, formerly Gems, in Dicconson Street has 4 real ales available (3 guests and Tetley bitter)
- The Shamrock in Standish has 5 real ales available
- The Vale Royal in Orrell has Greene King and Lancaster Bomber available
- Just outside of our area, All Gates brewery are buying the Jolly Nailor in Atherton.
- Not far from there, The Railway in Tyldesley has just had a handpump installed after years of being keg only. We are told that it is a lovely little back street pub with original green tiles on the exterior. The landlord (Earl) is a little eccentric when it comes to dressing up the pub for events - he still has the turrets in place outside from when he decorated it as a castle for St Georges Day last year!