- Boulevard in Wigan is currently running an offer on its real ale Monday – Friday 4pm to 9pm all
cask ales £2 per pint.
- The Raven has opened its doors to the public once more on 29th November. They have 5 hand
pumps serving several local breweries including Allgates, Mayflower and Prospect. They have done
a great job on refurbishing the pub and keeping its traditional features. They will be serving
traditional home cooked food including a variety of pies cooked on the premises. A must visit when
you are in next in Wigan.
- Bird i’th Hand also known as ‘En’ole on Gidlow Lane in Wigan reopened on the 17th November with
4 handpumps in the lounge and 2 in the vault. Pub is a freehouse and will carry a range of beers.
- The Griffin on Standishgate has had the shutters removed and various tradesmen have been seen
working on the interior, hopefully for a reopening before Christmas.
- Bridge 63 formerly the Crawford Arms at Haigh is undergoing refurbishment and rumoured to be
reopening as a pub once again.
- Robin Hood Orrell has recently changed managers and a proposed refurbishment has now been put on hold. The pub is up for sale. Punch Taverns are having an open day at the pub on the 21st November between 3pm and 6pm for prospective new tenants.
- Hare and Hounds Billinge now has a change of manager as Nick Du Toit has left and one of the staff, Janet has now taken over and we wish her every success.
- Boulevard in Wigan is currently running an offer on its real ale Monday – Friday 4pm to 9pm all cask ales £2 per pint.
- Hare and Hounds in Skelmersdale have added a second handpump due to successful sales.
- Wayfarer in Parbold is now planning a glass extension to the pub to house the proposed new brewery. A five barrel plant has been purchased and should be active by January 2013.
Bridge 63 (formerly the Crawford Arms) has got the builders in. It has been gutted and plans are to reopen as a bar/restaurant in the future. We are told.
- The Plough Inn at Hindley was sold last year and is currently having a refurbishment. New owners have contacted us to say they will be serving real ale when it reopens.
- The Derby Arms in Skelmersdale which had been selling 4 real ales is now closed and up for let.
Sams on Warrington Road, Ashton-in-Makerfield is now selling one real ale at £1.75 per pint.
- Mulberry Tree in Wrightington has now changed hands and is called The Cornerhouse website states expansion of the real ales on offer.
- Owd Kess in Platt Bridge is now selling real ale as is the Kirkless Hall Inn in Aspull.
- Wakes Hotel and Park Hotel in Ince have both been demolished while the Hesketh Arms Shevington Moor is now a private residence.
Cask ale outlets currently selling real ale in the Wigan area is 139.
Fifteens of Ashton appears to have reverted to its previous name of The Cross Keys and we are waiting for more information.
- White Lion in Pemberton has reopened awaiting an updated survey.
- Robin Hood in Orrell is soon to close for a refurbishment of interior and exterior including an extension to the side of the building.
- Park Hotel in Ince has sadly been demolished.
- Golden Ball Landgate has recently been sold at auction for £150,000 we are waiting for news on what will be happening to the building.
The Rose & Crown in Orrell is under new temporary management selling 3 cask ales and Tetleys Cask mild but the licensee needs cask sales to take off to keep the pub so if you are in the Orrell area please support him !
- Tom & Gerry’s in Ashton is taking part in the National Wetherspoons Cider Festival from 11th – 25th July and hopes to have a separate cider bar to enable the full range of Festival ciders to be available simultaneously There are also plans for a special Moorhouses event in the autumn
- St Aiden’s Parish Social Club, Winstanley is now selling just one cask ale
The branch now has 139 outlets listed as selling real ale.
The Silver Tally (formerly Foresters in Shevington is opening to the public at 12 noon on Sunday 3rd June. They will feature Prospect beers and Thwaites Wainrights.
- The Crown @ Worthington is also running some special family events over the weekend.
- Allgates pubs are having a ‘beer festival’ insofar as they are featuring guest beers as well as a special Allgates brew prepared in celebration of the Queens Diamond Jubilee – more details of what beers are on in which pubs can be viewed on their website, the festival runs all week but of course not all the beers will be on at the same time :
Several of the pubs are also having meet the Brewer events during the week though the only specific I know of are that Offbeat brewery is featured at the Hare & Hounds Hindley at 8pm on Wednesday 6th.
- Leigh Rugby Union Club are also holding a festival over the weekend – no specific details known but well worth a visit at any time.
- The Albion, Warrington (94 Battersby Lane) is also holding a beer festival from 31st May to 5th June featuring 26 beers from 10 breweries – beer list shown separately.
Patsy Slevin, Brewster from Standish’s very own Prospect brewery, has purchased the former
Foresters Arms in Shevington Moor. The pub is to close briefly for a refurb before the official reopening
under the new name of ‘The Silver Tally’ hopefully on 1st June - what a brilliant start to a
Bank Holiday weekend ! Patsy has signed a contract with Thwaites brewery which will see their excellent Wainwrights beer as a regular cask offering complemented by up to 6 ‘Prospect’ beers. It is also intended that the pub will serve bar meals. It is intended that the Prospect bar at the Bradley Hall Industrial estate will continue to open on Thursdays and Fridays from 4pm until 7pm.
- CAMRA has replaced what was National Pubs Week with Community Pubs Month which will now be
held in April every year. Unfortunately the branch, still reeling from the efforts of our record-breaking
March Beer Festival has neglected to organise anything special for event his year but aim to rectify
this in 2013. In the meantime the following pubs in the area have signed up to the event:
The Balcarres, Aspull ; The Balmoral, Hindley ; The Caledonian, Ashton ; The Hare & Hounds, Hindley ; Hartleys Wine Bar, Wigan ; The Masons Arms, Billinge ; The Moorgate, Aspull.
And just outside our area : The Thomas Burke in Leigh ; The Bulls Head, Astley ; Boathouse, Astley ; Cart & Horses, Astley ; Jolly Nailor, Atherton and The Pendle Witch, Atherton.